Carrying Concealed Weapon Permits
Application Kits and General Application Information
Where to Apply: Barry County Clerk’s Office, 220 W. State Street, Hastings, MI 49058
Applicants must be 21 years of age or older; a citizen of the United States; a resident of this state-residing in this state for at least 6 months; and a resident in the county of application.
Application kits are available from the County Clerk’s Office at 220 W. State Street, Hastings, MI 49058, and on the Michigan State Police website, MSP CPL.
Check with local gun clubs to take the required Michigan Concealed Pistol License (CPL) Classes prior to submitting your application.
Applications are accepted at the County Clerk’s Office during regular business hours between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. At the time of application, there is a fee of $100.00 per applicant. Applicants will be directed to be fingerprinted at the Sheriff’s Office who can perform the fingerprinting at any time. An additional $15.00 fingerprinting fee will be assessed and needs to be paid in the exact amount.
Location: Ace Hardware, 200 S. Boltwood, Hastings, MI
Time: 7:30 a.m.
Instructor: Skip Coryell
Legal Instructor: Sheriff Dar Leaf
Additional information at: www.skipcoryell.com, www.mwtac.com
Call Skip Coryell to register by phone: (269) 838-5586
A Pistol Safety Training Course is required, and training must have occurred after July 1, 2003. The certificate must state that it complies with the requirements of P.A. 719 of 2002.
Application Requirements for Filing with the Barry County Clerk's Office
- Completed application – Signed under oath; Administered by the County Clerk or Deputy Clerk
- Certificate of completion of pistol safety training course
- $100.00 Application Fee
- License term is not less than 4 years, nor more than 5 years; and will expire on your birthday
An application is considered a RENEWAL if the applicant has received a concealed pistol license under compliance of the training requirements set forth in the Act after July 1, 2001. A concealed pistol license is renewed in the same manner as an original license.
- An individual must complete a pistol safety training course if renewing a license, for the first time that was issued prior to July 1, 2001.
- For an individual licensed after July 1, 2001, and subsequently applying for a renewal, completion of a pistol safety training course is not required. However, the applicant shall sign a statement certifying that he/she has completed at least 3 hours of review of the pistol safety training course and has had at least 1 hour of firing range time in the 6 months immediately preceding the renewal of the application.
- EXCEPTION: The training requirements are waived for an individual who is a retired police officer or retired law enforcement officer. The county gun board may require a letter stating that the officer retired in good standing.
Michigan Office of State Police information website