Serve on a Local Board
About Citizen Boards and CommissionsHere in Barry County, local citizens can make a big difference in promoting healthy, safe and prosperous communities. Citizen boards and commissions bring an important perspective to county government, and for those who serve, offer a great opportunity to strengthen professional skills, fulfill a civic responsibility and give back to their communities.
Barry County has more than 40 citizen boards that focus on specific areas of interest, and make recommendations to the Board of Commissioners.
Opportunities for Service
- Addiction Recovery
- Animal Shelter
- Community Corrections
- Emergency Services
- Land Conservation and Recycling
- Mental Health
- Parks and Recreation
- Planning and Zoning
- Services for Seniors
- Veteran’s Affairs
Who Should Apply?
These boards need a diverse group of citizens with a desire to serve. Serving usually takes less than 3 hours a month, and can have tremendous positive impact for Barry County and those who serve. While each board is different, the general requirements to serve are:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be a resident of Barry County.
- Be able to attend the monthly meeting.
- Be able to work in a professional setting, demonstrate fairness and common-sense.
- Download board-specific information
- View current vacancies
- Submit your Application/General Interest Form