APPLICATION KITS AND GENERAL APPLICATION INFORMATION
Where to Apply: Barry County Clerk’s Office, 220 W. State Street, Hastings MI 49058
Applicants must be 21 years of age or older; a citizen of theUnited States; a resident of this state-residing in this state for at least 6 months; and a resident in the county of application.
Application kits are available from the CountyClerk’s Office at 220 W. State Street, HastingsMI49058, the Barry County Sheriff’s Department, local police departments, and on the Michigan State Police website, www.michigan.gov/msp.
Check with local gun clubs to take the required Michigan CPL/CCS Classes prior to submitting your application. Many gun clubs also offer photos or the Barry County Clerk’s Office staff can take them for an additional $10 at the time of application.
Applications are accepted during regular business hours between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. At the time of application, there is a fee of $105 per applicant. This includes the fingerprinting fee. Applicants will be directed to be fingerprinted at the Sheriff’s Department who performs the fingerprinting at anytime.
Fingerprints are taken after filing the application with the Barry County Clerk’s Office. A receipt from the Barry County Clerk’s Office and photo ID are required in order to have the prints taken. The Barry County Sheriff’s Department is located at1212 W. State Street,HastingsMI49058.
A Pistol Safety Training Course is required and training must have occurred after July 1, 2003. The certificate must state that it complies with the requirements of P.A. 719 of 2002.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR FILING WITH THE BARRY COUNTY CLERK’S OFFICE:
- Completed application – SIGNED UNDER OATH; ADMINISTERED BY THE COUNTY CLERK OR DEPUTY CLERK
- Passport-quality photograph
- Certificate of completion of pistol safety training course
- $105.00 Application Fee
- License term is not less than 4 years, nor more than 5 years; and will expire on your birthday
An application is considered a RENEWAL if the applicant has received a concealed pistol license under compliance of the training requirements set forth in the Act after July 1, 2001. A concealed pistol license is renewed in the same manner as an original license.
- An individual must complete a pistol safety training course if renewing a license, for the first time that was issued prior to July 1, 2001.
- For an individual licensed after July 1, 2001, and subsequently applying for a renewal, completion of a pistol safety training course is not required. However, the applicant shall sign a statement certifying that he/she has completed at least 3 hours of review of the pistol safety training course and has had at least 1 hour of firing range time in the 6 months immediately preceding the renewal of the application.
- EXCEPTION: The training requirements are waived for an individual who is a retired police officer or retired law enforcement officer. The county gun board may require a letter stating that the officer retired in good standing.
State and FBI response from fingerprints may take up to 10 weeks.
Concealed Weapon Licensing Board has 45 for a new application and 60 days for a renewal application after the Board receives the applicant’s fingerprints from the State and FBI to approve or deny the application.
The licenses are mailed to the approved applicants seven to 21 business days after approval by the Board.
CONCEALED WEAPONS LICENSING BOARD INFORMATION
Chair – Julie Pratt, Barry County Prosecutor’s Office (269) 945-1297
Sheriff Dar Leaf, Barry County Sheriff’s Department (269) 948-4805
Lt. Steven Harper, Michigan State Police (269) 948-8283
Clerk – Sarah VanDenburg, Deputy County Clerk (269) 945-1285
The Barry County Gun Board meets the second Wednesday of each month in the Mezzanine located in the Old Courthouse located at 220 W. State Street. Meetings are scheduled to begin at 2:00 p.m. You are not required to attend these meetings in person. These meetings are public and you are welcome to attend.
January 8, 2014
February 12, 2014
March 12, 2014
April 9, 2014
May 14, 2014
June 11, 2014
July 9, 2014
August 13, 2014
September 10, 2014
October 8, 2014
November 12, 2014
December 10, 2014
Information Regarding Your Application For a New or Renewed Concealed Pistol License & Meeting Dates.
RI-012, Concealed Pistol License Application Form (pdf format)
Michigan Department of State Police information web site
Information on Reciprocity with Other States
State of Michigan Firearms Laws