Citizen Board Opportunities
As a citizen board member, you'll help county officials:
- Generate ideas for improving services and helping residents
- Set budgets and review spending
- Develop short, long-term goals
- Write and/or revise policies
- Learn the fundamentals of local government, parliamentary procedure, public finance
- Strengthen your résumé as an official appointee of the Barry County Board of Commissioners
- Find new friendships, networking opportunities
- Further distinguish yourself as a leader in your community
Agriculture Promotion Board
Oversees Barry County’s agriculture preservation program, which protects farmland from development - ensuring its economic, ecological and cultural benefit for future generations.
Animal Shelter Advisory Board
Helps ensure the proper care of animals at the Barry County animal shelter by evaluating shelter programs and policies. Coordinates and promotes volunteering opportunities that help increase adoptions and carry out the mission of the shelter.
Board of Canvassars
The Board of Canvassers is responsible for canvassing and certifying elections held in the county. When required, Canvassers inspect ballot containers, conduct recounts and resolve claims involving of malfunctioning voting equipment and defective ballots.
- Nominations are made by the two major political parties in Barry County. Please contact the Barry County Clerk for more information.
Appointed by the Board of Commissioners to guide and monitor certain county construction projects.
Central Dispatch Authority
Ensures secure, reliable operation of Barry County emergency 911 system by setting budgets, creating policies and collaborating with local law enforcement and elected officials.
Charlton Park Board
Oversees the operation and strategic vision of one of Barry County's greatest treasures - Charlton Park. The Board works to promote the park's historic village and recreation area through community events.
- Meets on the 1st Monday of every month
- Meetings are held at 5:30 PM in the Upjohn House at Charlton Park
Commission on Aging
Creates and manages nutritional and social programming that improves the quality of life for older Barry County residents.
- Meets on the 3rd Tuesday of every month
- Meetings are held at 2:00 PM at the Barry County Commission on Aging
Community Corrections Advisory Board (CCAB)
Responsible for developing, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating programs that provide alternatives to incarceration for non-violent offenders in order to reduce jail and prison overcrowding.
Construction Board of Appeals
Hears and decides appeals related to local construction codes.
Department of Human Services
Oversees the operation and regulatory compliance of Thornapple Manor - Barry County's long term care facility.
- Meets on the 4th Wednesday of every month
- Meetings are held at 1:00 PM at Thornapple Manor
Local Emergency Planning Committee
Assists in the development county-wide emergency response plans by collaborating with federal, state and local officials, developing policies and identifying resources.
Mental Health Authority
Guides, develops and promotes programming which help local citizens dealing with mental illness and/or addiction.
- Meets on the 2nd Wednesday of every month
- Meetings are held at 8:00 AM at Barry County Community Mental Health
Parks and Recreation Board
Brings together community organizations to promote recreation opportunities across Barry County. Responsible for evaluating and determining where county recreation-related funding should be directed.
Responsible for creating the master plan for physical development across Barry County. Regularly reviews zoning issues, site plans and other land-use related requests. Planning Commissioners have an strong understanding the county zoning ordinance and perform site visits to all properties being reviewed by the Commission.
Oversees the planning, design, construction, and maintenance of Barry County’s road network. Road Commissioners have a strong understanding of construction standards, and other road-related issues.
Solid Waste Oversigh Committee
Provides the planning to manage Barry County’s solid waste; assists the Board of Commissioners in developing budgets and policies to reduce waste and promote recycling across the county.
Tax Allocation Board
Meets annually to distribute taxes collected through millages between the County, the townships, and the schools.
Oversees the operation of a safe, reliable public transportation system for Barry County residents.
Promotes assistance programs for local veterans. Committee comprised of honorably discharged veterans who have served in wartime or who received an armed forces campaign or service medal.
Zoning Board of Appeals
Hears and decides public appeals related to enforcement of the county’s zoning ordinance.