A motion can be filed by a party or a court ordered custodian and may be granted only if all of the following conditions apply:
- The transfer of the action is requested on the basis of the residence and convenience of the parties, or other good cause consistent with the best interests of the minor child(ren);
- Neither party nor the court ordered custodian has resided in the county of current jurisdiction for at least six (6) months prior to the filing of the motion;
- At least one party or the court ordered custodian has resided in the county to which the transfer is requested for at least six (6) months prior to the filing of the motion; and
- The county to which the transfer is requested is not contiguous to the county of current jurisdiction.
The parties can use their own resources to file the motion by using the State Court Administrator’s Office forms:
- Petition (Motion)/Stipulation for Transferring Case (Post Judgment) (FOC 24)
- Order Changing Venue and Transferring Case (Post Judgment)” (FOC 25).
Or, the party can send a written request to the Barry County Friend of the Court Administrator requesting transfer of the case provided all of the above conditions apply. The Barry County Friend of the Court will then file the motion and set the matter for hearing.
Page Last Modified: May 16, 2008 at 9:37 am