Meals on Wheels
The COA’s Meals on Wheels program provides nutritious meals to homebound adults age 60 years or better, living in Barry County, who are unable to prepare meals themselves, but wish to remain independent in their homes.
Hot noon meals and cold supper meals are delivered Monday through Friday, with frozen weekend meals delivered each Friday. Liquid nutrition, in the form of Ensure, is also available for delivery by the case, with a physician’s prescription. Meals are prepared fresh by our caterer, with input from a Registered Dietitian and are delivered weekdays by COA staff and volunteers.
The meals are prepared to provide one-third of the daily nutritional requirements, and are suitable for most dietary needs, such as low fat, low sugar or low sodium diets. Ground, pureed and liquid meals are available for those with chewing and swallowing problems.
Benefits of Meals on Wheels
- Gives peace of mind by providing daily safety check by meal driver
- Provides contact with other professional services like Home Care, Home Repair, and Medicare Counseling
- Allows families to spend time on activities other than food preparation
- Informs families of community options and other programs
- Supports long-distance caregiving
- Allows consultation with professional staff five days a week
A monthly statement is mailed to each senior receiving meals, and a suggested cost-share contribution of $3.00 for each hot meal, $2.00 for each cold meal, and $1.50 per can of liquid nutrition is requested.
(No senior is turned down for meals due to their inability to contribute.)
Current Hot and Cold Home Delivered Meal Menus
Please call our Nutrition Program Coordinator, Elaine Brill, at 269-948-4856 ext. 1008 for more information.
Nutrition Program Assistant: Judy Van Dien